Brazil Name 26-Man World Cup Squad: Neymar In, Joao Pedro Out

Brazil Name 26-Man World Cup Squad: Neymar In, Joao Pedro Out

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Brazil’s 26-man squad for the 2026 World Cup, with Neymar earning a place in the group after returning to form at Santos.

The announcement was made at a ceremony in Rio de Janeiro on Monday, May 18. Fans had gathered outside the venue ahead of the event, many of them chanting Neymar’s name in a show of support. When Ancelotti finally called his name, the crowd cheered loudly. Chelsea forward Joao Pedro, who was the club’s top scorer in the Premier League this season with 15 goals and five assists, did not make the cut.

Neymar Returns for a Fourth World Cup

Neymar has not played for Brazil since 2023 due to injury problems, but his form at Santos helped convince Ancelotti to include him. The 34-year-old scored six goals and provided four assists for his boyhood club this season after a difficult spell at Al Hilal, where he made just seven appearances in around 18 months.

Ancelotti explained his thinking ahead of the announcement. “We spent the entire year analysing Neymar,” he said. “We realised that in this last period he had continuity and was in good physical condition.”

Earlier, in an interview on May 13, the coach had said: “With Neymar, we only need to assess his physical condition because his talent is beyond question.”

Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 79 goals in 128 appearances, Neymar previously played at the 2014, 2018 and 2022 World Cups. This will be his fourth.

Premier League Stars Feature Heavily

Several players from English clubs are included in the squad. Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson was among the first names called, despite missing the club’s last 10 games through injury. Ederson, formerly of Manchester City and now at Fenerbahce, also makes the squad alongside Weverton.

In defence, Arsenal’s Gabriel Magalhaes and PSG captain Marquinhos both feature. In midfield, Manchester United’s Casemiro and Newcastle’s Bruno Guimaraes were named.

Up front, Arsenal’s Gabriel Martinelli, Brentford striker Igor Thiago, and Manchester United forward Matheus Cunha all make the trip. Bournemouth’s Rayan also earns a place.

Real Madrid’s Vinicius Junior and Barcelona’s Raphinha are both included, as is 19-year-old Endrick, currently on loan at Lyon from Real Madrid.

Joao Pedro Misses Out

Despite a strong debut season at Chelsea, Joao Pedro was not selected. The forward finished as the club’s top Premier League scorer, but Ancelotti opted for other attacking options ahead of him.

Brazil’s Group C Fixtures

Brazil open their 2026 World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13. They then face Haiti on June 20 before wrapping up the group stage against Scotland on June 24.

The tournament, which features an expanded field of 48 teams, is being hosted across the United States, Canada and Mexico, and gets underway on June 11.

Brazil last won the World Cup in 2002. They have not reached a final since then.

Full Brazil Squad for the 2026 World Cup

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool), Ederson (Fenerbahce), Weverton (Gremio)

Defenders: Alex Sandro, Danilo, Leo Pereira (Flamengo), Bremer (Juventus), Ibanez (Al-Ahli), Wesley (Roma), Marquinhos (Paris St-Germain), Gabriel (Arsenal), Douglas Santos (Zenit St. Petersburg)

Midfielders: Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle), Casemiro (Manchester United), Danilo Santos (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad), Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo)

Forwards: Endrick (Lyon), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Igor Thiago (Brentford), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United), Raphinha (Barcelona), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid), Luiz Henrique (Zenit St. Petersburg), Neymar (Santos), Rayan (Bournemouth)

Brazil Name 26-Man World Cup Squad: Neymar In, Joao Pedro Out

With Neymar back in the fold and a squad built around experienced European-based players, Brazil head into the 2026 World Cup looking to end a 24-year wait for a sixth world title.

Editor’s Picks:

  1. Ivory Coast National Football Team Squad for World Cup 2026
  2. DR Congo Name 2026 World Cup Squad as Desabre Backs Experienced Leopards
Nina uzoefu wa miaka zaidi 6 katika uandishi wa habari nchini Tanzania. Shauku yangu ni kuleta habari muhimu katika nyanja mbalimbali ikiwemo Elimu na Michezo